Are you interested in knitting hats for charity? Make a difference with a worthy cause and find the right volunteer opportunity for you to use your knitting or crocheting skills today! You can enjoy your favorite craft hobby while also getting involved in an awesome charity!
In this article, we’ll go over where you can donate knitted hats for charities, tons of free knitting hat patterns, tutorials to teach you how to knit, and other awesome charities you can be a part of! Do something simple by getting involved in a knitting charity!
Where to Donate Knitting Hats for Charity
- Warm Up America – Accepts adult hats, afghans, baby hats, and other baby clothing items. Finished projects are donated to hospitals, homeless shelters, veteran facilities, and other places that help those in need. Read their blog to learn more!
- Afghans for Afghans – Delivers hand-knitted items like blankets, hats, mittens, sweaters, vests, and socks to the less fortunate in Afghanistan. Learn more about their guidelines and where to send items.
- Knit for Kids – Provides handcrafted items to children across the world who are in need of donated knit treasures. Get started with their Free Patterns.
- Care to Knit – Gives homemade scarves, hats, lap blankets, mittens, baby caps, and other accessories to those in nursing homes, hospitals, shelters, and hospice care. They even have instructions on how to create a fuzzy duck for children!
- Hats 4 the Homeless – Donates knitted or crocheted gloves, socks, scarves, and hats to the homeless in the winter. Check out where to send items on their How You Can Help page.
- Knitting and Giving – Provides hand knitted or crocheted items to those in need located in shelters and local hospitals. They accept many different types of knitted or crocheted garments. Read more about what they accept on their Call for Items page.
- Knit Big for Little Lungs – Gives your knitted or crocheted blankets, booties, hats, and other accessories to babies in NICUs in hospitals across the nation. Learn more about giving to babies with RSV (respiratory syncytial virus).
- Knots of Love – Distributes hats and blankets to men, women, and children going through chemotherapy. Send a tax-deductible giving card as well if you wish!
Military Charities that Accept Knitted Hats
- Operation Gratitude – Sends care packages to American troops who need hats, ties, and scarves. Find out more about how you can get involved with a military cause. Read more about how to donate without leaving the comfort of your home!
- Soldiers’ Angels – Helps the military by sending lapghans, blankets, scarves, hats, covers, bags, socks, totes, and other goods in care packages to soldiers.
- The Ships Project – Sends care packages with homemade slippers, socks, ties, and hats to soldiers deployed across the world.
- Warmth for Warriors – Sends knitted or crocheted hats to American soldiers serving across the globe. Check out their How to Knit page for instructions on how to begin this timeless craft and more!
Keep in mind that most of the charities that accept donated knitted hats have links for free knitting patterns on their websites, so there are even more great patterns for you to use!
Free Knitting Hat Patterns
Find free knitting patterns for hats via one of the following resources! These patterns are great freebies for you to use when knitting hats for charity!
- All Free Knitting – 66+ Hat Knitting Patterns for Winter
- Yarnspirations – A Huge Hat Knit Pattern Collection
- Love Crafts – Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- NobleKnits – 10 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Knitting Help – Free Hat Knitting Patterns
Learn How to Knit
Understand the basics of how to knit so that you can knit hats for charity. These tutorials should make it very easy to learn the basics of knitting. Even if you are a beginner, you can easily pick up this handy and fun hobby!
These how-to videos will guide you through the basic skills needed to knit. They are straightforward, short, and simple to understand.
Other Great Charities to Consider
- Have a soft spot for animal shelters? Check out the Snuggles Project for information on how to knit for a charity like this. Tender Loving Cats is another worthy cause devoted to animals.
- Want to knit a teddy bear for a worthy cause? The Mother Bear Project is perfect for you; it provides hand-knitted or crocheted bears to children in need.
- Would you like to donate handmade blankets to the less fortunate? Project Linus or Knit-A-Square provide you with many opportunities to create knitted or crocheted blankets for those in need, such as security blankets for premature babies.
- Interested in an unusual volunteer opportunity? Knitters and crocheters can also join a worthy cause dedicated to breast cancer survivors by working with Knitted Knockers.
Please note that these charities also accept donations via PayPal or check. Monetary donations are considered to be tax-deductible donations – another reason to get involved!
All you have to do is enjoy your favorite hobby and pass along your knitted masterpiece to a worthy cause! Believe me when I say that you’ll get more out of it than you could ever imagine!
To get even more out of the experience, think of the person who will be receiving your knitted gift while creating a project for charity.
Do you know of a great craft charity to include in this list? Have you started a local chapter of charities who are knitting for worthy causes? Please leave a comment!
I’d love to hear from you! Also, help me jump start my blog by sharing or bookmarking this article for later! Contact me for more information.